GENERAL ADMISSION - $20 IN ADVANCE/ $25 DAY OF SHOW
STARS AT THE SHELL IS A FUNDRAISING EVENT BENEFITING THE LEVITT SHELL.
The Levitt Shell presents 50 free concerts each year. Our mission is building a stronger Memphis community through free music, finding common ground in a diverse audience. All proceeds from Stars at the Shell support the free concerts. We thank you for your support!
LUKAS NELSON & PROMISE OF THE REAL
Since forming 10 years ago, the buzz surrounding Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real has been intensifying. Lukas’ profile continued to rise when he contributed three songs and heavenly vocals to his dad Willie Nelson’s 2012 album, Heroes, their voices blending with potent DNA. Then two years later, life took another turn skyward when Neil Young decided to make Promise of the Real his touring and studio band. Young has guided the grateful young musicians ever since as they’ve backed the legend on tour around the world and on his two most recent albums.
The band woodshedded; averaging more than 200 shows a year. Drawing on Lukas’ lineage as well surrogate uncles like Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and the classic rock and roll of J.J. Cale, The Band, Clapton era Delaney and Bonnie and of course mentor Neil Young, they began to develop their own distinctive style of American music.
Coming of age in a celebrated musical family, Lukas Nelson learned early on that true originality is hard won, never given. Doubtlessly blessed with a measure of musical ability, it’s clear that his natural gifts have been honed by a singular devotion to craft and a deep appreciation for the sacrifice a creative life requires. Elated by the way things have come together so beautifully, Lukas is gratified that POTR have earned this moment and seized the opportunities that have led to this album—all perfectly capturing what he’d heard in his head 18 months earlier.
“It’s just amazing how things have flowed,” Lukas marvels. “It feels divine in a way.”
A few special notes about this event:
- Gates open at 6:00pm.
- Food and beverages (including wine and beer) will be sold at multiple concession stands throughout the area.
- No outside food, drinks, coolers or pets are allowed at this event.
- This event is rain or shine.
- Because this is a fundraiser, no refunds are available.
- Lawn chairs and blankets are welcome in General Admission seating areas.
- The Levitt Shell is wheelchair accessible.
- No professional photography, video or audio recording equipment.
- Kids 12 and under are admitted free in general admission area only.